Afterschool Program Staff
Denny Price Family YMCA
|Afterschool Program Staff|
|Denny Price Family YMCA|
|Monday - Friday 2:30-6:00pm and 7:30am - 6:00pm on school holidays and days when there is no school.|
Job Application Deadline:
YMCA Competencies of a Leader
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Ys values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fundraising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
As an employee you will be responsible for assisting with the YMCA Afterschool Program.
After School staff is responsible for supervising a safe and well-organized child care program by planning and participating in group activities with children.
1. Assisting other staff members with planning and carrying out activities
2. Promotes good personal relationships
3. Teaches planned activities
4. Stays alert to any potential health or safety dangers to campers
5. Supports the childcare director in planning and leading activities and in staff training,
supervision, and evaluation
6. Afterschool staff are required to swim with the children and participate in activities
7. Attend field trips with children and ride on school buses
8. Involved in activities that are in the hot and cold weather
9. Greet children and parents when dropping off and picking up children
10. Responsible for cleaning toys and equipment daily
11. Discuss any issue with a parent in a calm manner and report the incident to the childcare
12. Must fill out accident reports for children if injured
13. Responsible for finding a replacement if not able to work scheduled shift
14. Must wear YMCA shirt, appropriate pants, and name badge. No facial piercing allowed. Staff are allowed to have cell phones, but not for personal use
15. The YMCA is a Christian organization. Counselors read daily devotions and pray with children
16. Required to report any child neglect or abuse.
17. Must have twenty childcare training hours annually
18. Personnel attendance policy must be followed. Please refer to Personnel Policy Article VII,
Section 1 and 2.
1. Communicate with people at all levels in a positive way
2. Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
3. Ability to work efficiently and accurately on a computer using our software tools
4. Ability to support management and philosophies of the Denny Price Family YMCA
5. Must be extremely organized, accurate, reliable, and diligent in meeting deadlines
6. Must be able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
7. Confidentiality is imperative, the incumbent must be mature and discrete
1. At least 16 years old
2. CPR and First Aid certified
3. Good health and hygiene and be committed to working with staff and children from wide variety of backgrounds
4. One year of college or its equivalent. The equivalent is defined as either a camp counselor-intraining or one season’s experience as a junior counselor.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; talk; or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and stoop; kneel; or crouch. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and depth perception.
Something looks off?