Requisition ID: 71604
NextEra Analytics provides renewable energy consulting services using industry-leading scientific analysis. As a NextEra Energy Resources company, the world's largest generator of renewable energy from the wind and sun, we thrive on solving the toughest problems facing the energy industry, and creating innovative forecasting and optimization solutions that lead the way into the next era of energy. Do you want to help accelerate the transition to low-cost sustainable energy? Join our world-class team today!
ovative forecasting and optimization solutions that lead the way into the next era of energy.
Position Specific Description
NextEra Analytics is currently seeking a Research Scientist to join our R&D team. As a division of NextEra Energy, we own and operate the world’s largest renewable energy fleet of wind, solar, and storage assets. At NextEra Analytics, we are innovators and at the forefront of the industry by developing intelligent algorithms to design, connect, forecast, optimize, and enhance renewable energy systems. As a Research Scientist within our Science team, you will work on and solve challenging problems by applying scientific and mathematical principles, R&D, and advanced analytics through coding proficiency to new/existing products and services to meet our customer’s needs.
Primary (Essential) Job Functions Include:
- Participate in small teams engaged in applied research & development, working on challenging, complex and interdisciplinary problems in a business setting
- Design and prototype algorithmic solutions to energy-related scientific and engineering problems
- Write and maintain production level code in R, Python, Julia, Fortran, etc.
- Advise the Director of Science as well as NextEra Analytics and NextEra management on research topics, analytical results, and scientific and energy industry advances
- Desire and curiosity to expand knowledge into focus areas such as wind, solar, hydrogen, and battery storage
- Provides scientific support to pre- and post-construction teams regarding challenges that arise in their workflow
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned
- Master’s degree in physics, mathematics, atmospheric science or related field such as engineering, statistics, and data science
- 3+ years of experience in a combination of the following areas: energy system modeling, wind/solar energy, battery storage or related utility field
- Proficient with appropriate programming and scripting languages (R, Python, Julia, Fortran, etc.)
- Proficient with code repositories like Gitlab
- Ability to communicate effectively throughout all levels of the organization - written and oral
- Ability to work extended hours when necessary to meet critical deadlines
- Innate curiosity about a myriad of topics within the energy industry
- PhD degree in physics, mathematics, atmospheric science or related field such as engineering, statistics, and data science
- Background in detailed analysis of complex systems involving large datasets, guided by physically based conceptual models
- Advanced-level abilities with programming and scripting languages (R, Python, Julia, Fortran, etc.)
- Advanced-level experience with solar energy modeling software (SAM, PVsyst, other)
- Ability to abstract a problem in such a way as to enable “cross-pollination” utilizing concepts and techniques from other fields
- Familiarity with, and execution of, Agile Scrum methodologies